Advertise with us

Enjoying this blog? Check out the rest of the Business Channel Subscribe to this Feed

Home Biz Notes

Tax Info Book for Home Business Authors

by Mary Emma Allen on January 20th, 2007

Free lance writers, who work from a home office, even though they may go into the field for their research, interviews, and promotion, often don’t consider themselves business owners or that the income they receive is taxable…unless they receive a 1099 Misc Income form.  Even then I’ve heard some mention that they didn’t realize they had to include writing income in their taxes.

In the United States, gross income you make over a specified amount is taxable and you usually need to include a Schedule C form with your tax filing.  Most newspapers, magazines, and U.S. online publications send a writers a Misc 1099 form.  The businesses also must file this form with the government.

(These general guidelines usually apply to all home businesses.)

Karen S. Woods has written an e-book for writers, It’s Taxing: 2006 Income Taxes for U.S. Authors.”

Does anyone have tax books they find helpful for home businesses in the U.S. and other countries? ( Because I live in the U.S., I only know about taxes here.)

Tags: , home+business+books, ,

POSTED IN: Books, Record Keeping

0 opinions for Tax Info Book for Home Business Authors

  • No one has left a comment yet. You know what this means, right? You could be first!

Have an opinion? Leave a comment: