Tips For Getting Paid
By Jean Murray
If you want your home business to succeed, there are only two things you need to do:
1. Find customers/clients
2. Get them to pay you.
There are lots of reasons why people don’t pay:
- They don’t have the money
- They don’t have the money today
- They don’t think you’re worth it
- They don’t think the price is fair
- They think if they don’t pay, you’ll forget about them (LOL!)
I’ve developed some tips for getting paid and wanted to share them with you:
1. Establish a process. Decide as you start your home-based business how you will handle payments. Write up a payment policy. Include processes for billing and collections.
2. Get paid up front. Ask for at least half in advance before you begin a project. Tell the person you will cheerfully refund the money if they are not satisfied. (Then do it.)
3. Follow up. Don’t be afraid to keep after people about bills. Start out with friendly in-person (or over-the-phone) reminders. Put the reminders in writing; it’s good evidence if you have to take someone to court. If you aren’t comfortable talking with people about payments, find someone to be your “collections department.”
© Image courtesy of Yvonne Russell at Grow Your Writing Business.comTags: , Finances & Money, freelance business, freelancing, getting paid, Jean Murray