Keen To Write A Business Book? Tips From Spare Room Startup Author Emma Jones
Emma Jones is the editor of Enterprise Nation, the UK’s premier home business site and the author of Spare Room Startup: How To Start A Business From Home.
She shared some tips for Home Biz Notes readers interested in writing a business book. I’m sure it will inspire you.
How long did it take you to write Spare Room Startup?
It took 11 months from submitting the book synopsis, to holding a hard copy of the book in my hand. Many people have told me this is fast.
But I did have a great deal of the material already prepared as we’d been reporting on home business, via Enterprise Nation, for 18 months. And pretty much the entire content of the book had been in my head for the past 5-10 years. It was bursting to get out!
If a home business owner is keen to write a business book, what tips would you give them about getting started?
We produced a feature on this as a good number of people have asked me this question.
Here are my tips:
- research the publishers who you think are right for you
- approach them with a brief synopsis that includes an outline of the book, market, your credentials and why will people buy this
- follow up and don’t give up
- once the book is published, get out there and market it like crazy
- and don’t expect it to be an immediate money-spinner. It won’t be!
Spare Room Startup:How To Start A Business From Home can be purchased from Amazon or from the UK publisher, Harriman House.
POSTED IN: Interviews